This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Texas Stop Sign / How 'Bout a Buster Bar Buster?

       If you're expecting any reviews of gourmet restaurants you've probably come to the wrong place in this blog.  I mean, if I ever happen to go to one I'll let you know, but I've just never liked the idea of taking a second mortgage to get some meal in a pretentious eatery. My idea of fancy is Olive Garden when they put one of those $3 off coupons in the papers and I don't have to wait more than 30 minutes for a table. The typical dining experience for my wife and I is a turn through the drive-thru window at Pollo Loco and eating at home so we don't have to pay for overpriced sodas.  Call me cheap if you want, but I'll say okay so what.  I know what I like.

         Driving across the seemingly never-ending state of Texas, you can see this proliferication of that icon of Americana, Dairy Queen.  The DQ logo has become known as the Texas Stop Sign cause if you see it and you're parched and hot then you gotta stop--or if you're on the road and hungry you'd better stop cause there might not be another chance for a good stretch of miles. There are more Dairy Queens in Texas than any other state.  

           My first encounter with Dairy Queen was in the early '60's when my family moved to Crown Point, IN.   After my mother took me there once for a hot fudge sundae, I badgered her every time we passed it to stop for a treat.  The smooth creamy soft serve ice cream is a real delight especially when topped with one of the many flavored syrups that DQ has to offer or the chocolate dip that hardens into a shell.  The tall, rich milkshakes are also very refreshing when you are thirsting on a hot day. 

           In my adult years, after I had hit the road touring with a stage production, Dairy Queen became a regular stop for me and my family.  There is high concentration of Dairy Queens all through the midwest.  During the '80's Dairy Queen added more choices to an already prolific menu.  The Blizzard was a real coup.  The Blizzard is a cup of the famous DQ soft serve ice cream with mix-ins added such as M & M's, Butterfinger, or Oreo Cookies -- refreshment with the candy flavors eaten with a spoon.  Many other fast food chains have added similar treats, but Dairy Queen was a pioneer in the science of mix-ins.  It's a darn nice treat for kids and adults alike on a sweltering summer afternoon.

         Many Dairy Queens offer food.  It's as passable as the food at most other fast food joints-- probably more appreciated by teenagers than adults perhaps. It's typical fare such as hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, and fries.  They also offer Mexican style fare  like tacos at the Texas locations.  If you really like fast and fried, then you'll do fine with the DQ food menu.

         However, the Dairy Queen treats are the real food royalty here--it's not called Dairy Queen for nothing.  Besides the usual cones, sundaes, and shakes, you find many sweet treats to titilate the particular palate.  I've already mentioned the Blizzard, but it's worth mentioning twice. There is DQ's version of the Icee or Slushee called the Arctic Rush-- a sweet fruity slushed ice concoction that can result in lethal brain freeze if consumed too quickly.  Many Dairy Queens offer specialties like ice cream cakes for your special occasions.  And there are the popular treats on a stick like the Dilly Bar, ice cream in a flavored candy shell, and the Buster Bar, a peanut and fudge sundae on a stick.

        My favorite DQ treats would have to be hot-fudge milkshakes made with chocolate ice cream (okay--I'm a chocolate fiend) and either the Peanut Buster Parfait or the Buster Bar.  The Peanut Buster Parfait is a tall cup of the soft serve ice cream layered from bottom to top with rich fudge and whole peanuts.  The Buster Bar is the same thing on a stick. If you don't have time to savor the sundae with a spoon out of the cup, you can eat it on the run off a stick.  I'm conviced that you could practically live off of these since they provide the dairy food group and protein from the peanuts.

        You might find better ice cream at other places and the fast food at DQ might not be to everyone's liking, but if you're trying to keep your spending down Dairy Queen works pretty well.  Kids and teens like Dairy Queen and most adults do as well.  If you're taking the family or the little league team or what have you out for a dinner or a treat that won't break your bank account, then try Dairy Queen if you're not already hooked on this American tradition.

        By the way, I do not work for Dairy Queen, nor do I own stock in nor have I been paid by Dairy Queen.  This is merely my opinion that I'm tossing out to you.  If you've got an opinion you would like to express then toss it back.

7 comments:

  1. `
    Say, when does the show start?

    ~ Stephen
    <"As a dog returns to his own vomit,
    so a fool repeats his folly."
    ~ Proverbs 26:11>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keeping things light for a change. After the extensive exchange between you and mousiemarc, thought I'd better post something more trivial and less thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big DQ fan myself. Especially the dipped cones that form a hard shell. I don't know why the hardened chocolate is so good! How's your writing going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy,
    today (tuesday) I reached the 6500 word mark. That puts me on track so far, but I would like to get a few writing onslaughts going to push me ahead in case I have some slack days ahead. But I'm still plodding away -- thanks for your attention!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. >>[After the extensive exchange between you and mousiemarc, thought I'd better post something more trivial and less thought provoking.]<<

    HOKEY-SMOKE! I never dreamed that anyone other than Marc and I would read through all of that. rLEE-B, you were keeping up with it all the time? Man, you must have the patience of Job. Well, I just now posted what I suppose is the final comment on that discussion.

    Did you have any thoughts on it? You know, you could have jumped in anytime - you didn't have to stay hidden in the wings.

    That's the first time Marc and I have ever expressed any strong disagreement with each other and I hope he didn't take anything personally or walk away from it with any ill feelings. I think real friends can sometimes disagree without it having any negative impact on the friendship.

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" McME

    ReplyDelete
  6. yer durn tootin' that I was reading that exchange about spirits and all-- that was some interesting Halloween season reading. But me jump into that? Nooo. I'm so busy writing my bad novel and doing my blog posts I didn't want get involved in something that I couldn't adequately research. But you both did good and I would really need to go back and study the subject a lot to get a strong opinion So for now I'll stick to my elite illegal alien/ terrorist theory.

    I've even been pondering that Sarah Palin post and what to say. I'll probably post a comment on that one soon.

    But here's the deal, Stephen, you get pretty deep on these topics and off the cuff I'm not that knowledgable so I hesitate to debate with a master of argument such as you.

    After all you're taking on the Queen of the Republican Party and I'm here rhapsodizing about Dairy Queen.

    By the way if you want engage in some more friendly mishmash check my "Thursday Debate" post tomorrow -- I'll be ranting against spitting. Get your Bible verses ready for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. >>[I hesitate to debate with a master of argument such as you.]<<

    Ha! Oh heck, there ain't nothin' to it, rLEE-b - I argue with myself all the time. It's not that difficult. In fact, sometimes I even win the arguments!

    >>[After all you're taking on the Queen of the Republican Party and I'm here rhapsodizing about Dairy Queen.]<<

    Ha!-Ha! You're always good for a good play on words.

    >>[By the way if you want engage in some more friendly mishmash check my "Thursday Debate" post tomorrow -- I'll be ranting against spitting.]<<

    You spit the rant out and I'll read 'er!

    ~ Stephen
    <"As a dog returns to his own vomit,
    so a fool repeats his folly."
    ~ Proverbs 26:11>

    ReplyDelete